Thursday night saw our President deliver the State of the nation address. The address comes amidst many serious challenges that our country faces. From rampant unemployment, stagnant economic growth; unacceptable crime statistics, and severe inequity, the road ahead appears to be a turbulent one. There are no silver bullets or quick solutions. Many differing expectations also make the journey ahead more challenging.
Of this we may be certain, leadership will play a vital role in us getting us to and through the next decade. Leadership not only at the Government level, at the Corporate or organizational level, but more specifically, at our own individual level. Entrepreneurs will also need to grow in leadership as they build businesses to last that continue to add value.
With the need for leadership in mind, I would like to share 10 quotes on leadership from one of my favourite authors, John Maxwell.
John Maxwell is one of today’s top leadership thinkers. Here’s what he thinks about leadership: “Being a great leader is all about having a genuine willingness and a true commitment to lead others to achieve a common vision and goals through positive influence.”
- “Change is inevitable. Growth is optional.”
- “Do not take the agenda that someone else has mapped out for your life.”
- “Growth inside fuels growth outside.”
- “Learn to say ‘no’ to the good so you can say ‘yes’ to the best.”
- “Life is 10% of what happens to me and 90% of how I react to it.”
- “People do not care how much you know until they know how much you care.”
- “The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The leader adjusts the sails.”
- “We all stand on the shoulders of the past generation.”
- “You don’t overcome challenges by making them smaller but by making yourself bigger.”
- “You must manage your thought life daily and then you can manage your life.”
Let’s lead ourselves first, as Israelmore Ayivor encourages us……..
“Go out and lead the world, but never forget to begin by leading yourself first at home. You can’t lead the environment if you can’t lead yourself in it.”
Leading me first